• Welcome to www.fastfrogs.co.nz - Fast Frogs The NZ home for Fast French Cars .

Looking for GTi's, VTS, what have you?

Started by Timotheus, December 09, 2009, 05:49:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fred2

I've got a 306 Gti-6 and it is great.  Quick enough for me (although apparently it has 180 hp - more than standard-  according to dyno - or it used to - the first owner chopped the cat out I think) and fun to drive.  I do quite a few trips down the coast road Westport to Grey, over the Lewis to Chch, and also up to Nelson.  I haven't come across anyone who keeps up in the corners yet, but then there aren't many cars on the roads around here.
Issues - a few things you'd expect with something French - like the passenger electric window doesn't work, radio goes now and then, speedo needle a bit wobbly.  The rear beam was replaced because the bearings in there were shot (I know what the problem was but don't know how to describe it, technical terms are a bit vague).  It's the usual Peugeot problem.  And the front tyres scrub out pretty quickly..

However I've had a budget Jap import 205 Gti, and that was still more fun to drive - smaller and lighter, better steering I thought.  If it wasn't nearly dead (clutch, engine, gearbox, rust etc) I wouldn't have bought the 306.  Less forgiving though I'd say - I wouldn't have the confidence to push the 205 as much as the 306.  But I still entertain dreams of fixing it up and bringing it down here as well.

So I hope that helps.  I haven't driven a 106 but suspect it might be more similar to drive to the 205 than the 306 is?

Wilski

Hi Tim ... I have a 306 GTi-6 and to be honest it is the best car i have ever owned having had an Audi Quattro a 106 Xsi and a 205 GTi ... I scoured the lands of the long white cloud for a 106 GTi but could not find one .... I found this mint 1998 full service history 306 GTi-6 in Auckland with 117kms on it ... got it for 7 grand ... its a wonderful car ... handles so well on the twisties but also real placid for around town driving ... We had a cruise here the other night in Christchurch and went over the port hills ... I followed a Skyline GTR for alot of the way and he was amazed at how i kept up with him .. sure enough he left me for dead on the straights with that twin turbo but could not shake me on the bends .... If you want anymore info just shout :) 
1998 306 GTi-6

Wilski

Oh yeah and I have driven the 106 GTi ... fabulous car ! But to be honest I would still stick with my 306 anyday .... Either car will bring a huge smile to your face and an appreciating nod from those in the know :)
1998 306 GTi-6

Timotheus

So is it more midrange urge that makes GTi-6's tactile? Or the 6sp box?

Ive read a fair bit about them on some UK site. I havent come across much to dissuade me from them. Keep the right oils in them (gbox esp.), make sure the vario lifters/ actuators (the name beats me) are lifting and drive them.

Thanks for that.

Is there anyone in Whangarei that can have a look at the gold GTi-6 on tardme?

Tim.

Wilski

bit of both really ... .. such a good chassis too ... good car to drive around town ... nice ride .. firm but not bone shaking like alot can be ... very responsive and fun when you push it hard ! Welcome to test mine but a bit of a drive for you from dunners eh :)
1998 306 GTi-6

CaM

106s are cool as small crs. to quote my sister 'they're just like a mini with a good heater, seats, and a bit more grunt, and being able to stop. they even have you sitting crooked' (steering wheels-seat-pedals alignment is very similar to the weird angle you sit at in a mini)

I always found 106s to be unstable at speed, prefering the slightly longer 205. I guess the 306 would be similar?
1959 Citroën ID19 Slough
1990 Peugeot 205Mi16

2052NV

Timotheus

Quote from: [DVS205ONP2NV] on December 15, 2009, 08:18:14 PM
sorted done deal. no more looking!  :P

http://www.fastfrogs.co.nz/index.php/topic,4214.0.html

I cant look there because I have not contributed enough posts....

Do I spam post my own thread then delete the posts?

Or PM me. Hurry though, Im all but signed on another car.

CaM

spam the heck out of it bud.i think you need 10 posts to get through to classifieds?  sweet wee 106 clubsport for a very reasonable price for a rare car. get in there!!

bullit would likely be able to vouch for the seller/car having bought two 106s off him. he seems like a straight up guy, with a great love/obsession/sickness surrounding the ownership of small puggits

here she is
1959 Citroën ID19 Slough
1990 Peugeot 205Mi16

Timotheus

Quote from: CaM on December 16, 2009, 11:54:27 AM
spam the heck out of it bud.i think you need 10 posts to get through to classifieds?  sweet wee 106 clubsport for a very reasonable price for a rare car. get in there!!

bullit would likely be able to vouch for the seller/car having bought two 106s off him. he seems like a straight up guy, with a great love/obsession/sickness surrounding the ownership of small puggits

Thats what Im after.

Timotheus

CaM

1959 Citroën ID19 Slough
1990 Peugeot 205Mi16