• Welcome to www.fastfrogs.co.nz - Fast Frogs The NZ home for Fast French Cars .

Looking for GTi's, VTS, what have you?

Started by Timotheus, December 09, 2009, 05:49:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

2052NV

Bullitt

Quote from: CaM on December 16, 2009, 11:54:27 AM
bullit would likely be able to vouch for the seller/car having bought two 106s off him. he seems like a straight up guy, with a great love/obsession/sickness surrounding the ownership of small puggits
Yeah I bought my GTi off Sam and he previously owned my XSi as well.  I have seen the Ralllye but not looked at it closely.  Sam has looked after my cars well though so Im sure it will be a good buy.
106 GTi

red16v

Had a hoon it a while back, tis great. LOUD and fun. Buy buy buy ;D ;D ;D
The only thing better than one 16v: TWO 16vs...and a V6

1991 Red/Black BX 16v Phase1 D6C-projected into house.bugger
1991 Red BX 16v Phase2 D6C- restored
1998 Silver Xantia V6-family rocket

SaxoVTS

Hi Tim, my wife has owned both a 106 GTi and a Saxo VTS which she still has.  She bought the Saxo as she missed the 106 so much after selling it, and like others, searched and couldn't find one, so settled for the Saxo. Love them both to bits. My bro borrowed the VTS off my wife when he was in between cars, he is 6ft 5, about 110 kg and has huge feet size 12 -13 I think. He had no issues with fitting in it, but he did drive it with bare feet, because of the little pedals and his big feet. I haven't found any real difference in driving between the 106 and the Saxo, both awesome handling and a heap of fun. The 106 was a lot faster, but I think it was just a fast one, as quick as a Clio 172 we had. The Saxo is still quite quick for a little car with only 120 hp and on a winding road it is very impressive. The 106 was also more economical, it would average 40mpg, the Saxo averages low 30s. The dashboards are different, but the switchgear and instruments are the same. The Saxo only has one airbag compared to two on the 106. I prefer the looks of the 106, but that is as always, subjective. Good luck with your search. Matt

Timotheus

I appreciate that. I drive in bare feet when driving the 106 too, big feet and a postage stamp sized acc. pedal will do that. I expected the same from the Saxo. I actually like it in that car.

Well boys and girls. If the salesman in CHCH can give us a sharp price on the VW we will be buying it.
I know its probably blasphemus just bring the name up let alone say we are heading that way. ::)

The reality is the Rallye for sale here (although I have wanted one for tarmac racing for years) is too compromised for my wife as a daily driver.

We havent seen any GTi's lately and to be frank, the VW has similar power, similar weight, 2 more doors and is substantially newer.

Ill still be looking for a 106 for myself. In March I will have to replace my CommonWhore. Could be then.

Dont hesitate to A, burn me for my decision, B, Holla if you see/hear of a GTi coming up for sale or C, burn me for my decision.

Oh and if I drive it down from CHCH, I'll let you know what I thought.

Tim.

SaxoVTS

Hi Tim, I can see your points about the VW with the 5 doors etc. I haven't owned myself, but I have a friend that is VW mad and has owned alot - Golf's, Polo's, Passat's. In driving them,  I found them quite dull compared to the verve of the Frenchies and they cost a lot more to fix than the French stuff. My friend has some very scary repair bills for mundane stuff. In regards to the similar power and weight to the 106/Saxo. A mate at work has one of the 2007 Polo GTi's with the 1.8 turbo. There is a long up hill onramp from the Wellersley (sp?) St entry to the NW motorway here in Auckland, on the several times that we have both left work after midnight and descended onto the motorway, the Saxo has been faster than the VW up the hill, this, of course, is only up to 110kph or so. I've driven the 1.6 Polo GTi without the turbo and it is slower again than the 1.8 turbo Polo. I have always felt the 106/Saxo had a very healthy 120 bhp.   

Timotheus

How very interesting.

Ill see how it goes, if it is lame it will go.

Like I said earlier, my mother has a GTi, I might push for a swap if I need too.
Tim.

Carpentry

A little sad to hear of your decision, but in these tight times you take what you can get :P

Endeavour for a swap with your momma's GTi

Also, no true gti hatch has four doors, French or otherwise ;)
Take it to Bishops

pugMi

concur fully. like 4 door integras. so so wrong

Timotheus

Its not over yet.

The thing is, the VW is (well to us) a very smart looking car. In my first post, that was one of if not the most important parts. We just have to get Erin out of being seen in an beat up old CommonWhore while representing the cafe. While we really like the shape(s) of '90's Pugs, not finding one fast enough held us back.

I agree with the 3 door - 5 door thing. Dont get me started on convertable 'super cars'...

We have agreed on price and work to be done the the VW and will take delivery some time late this week, I hope.
Ill assess it with a drive to Wellington I think. I'll let you know how we go and what we think.

Tim.

Timotheus

Quote from: V6Pete on January 19, 2010, 09:32:09 PM
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Cars/Citroen/auction-266613540.htm

I saw that. I like it a lot.
The Polo ended up at our local VW agent 6 days after it arrived due to a faulty tensioner seal (oil everywhere...). Somewhere someone who did the cambelt reused a tensioner that has an oil seal. It looked like some tapped it back in with a flat head screwdriver apparently. Mindf***.
Its not back yet so I cant say much about it other than its far more remote feeling and understeers too much compared to the 106. A lame car by my standards but Erin likes it a lot. Practical, powerful enough and a smart looker.

Like I said, Ill be looking for myself in April when the CommonWhore gets replaced.

The Saxo though.... interested. Will I buy it, unlikely.

Tim.

Reviled

Timotheus

I bought myself a '73 Fiat 124 sport. Was in a garage for 9 years rego on hold. We got it on the road in three weeks, now I'm doing 500kms a week in it.

and.... the Polo is going up for sale.

so...

Anyone with a 106 GTI looking to sell?

I keep looking on tardme only seeing Rallyes and CS's.