• Welcome to www.fastfrogs.co.nz - Fast Frogs The NZ home for Fast French Cars .

New pug buyer!

Started by NZ_Pug, July 14, 2010, 09:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NZ_Pug

Hi to all,

Looking at finally buying a 205 GTI. A friend owned one way back in high school and from then on I've been interested in owning one, but it's never happened.

I joined the site to get an idea of Pugs in NZ, and hopefully if I buy one I'll be on here regularly!

Cheers
Phil

k-trips

Welcome - I can assure you that 205GTi is the quintessential car around here - although BX's are beginning to overtake..  ;D

We have a disgustingly twisted sense of humour and are thoroughly weird creatures - take a look in the events section we have and that will give you an idea - I'm sure you will have a hell of a time when you join in...

Whereabouts are you?
[]V[] []Ξ //-\\ []\[]
Quote from: CaMYou can't motorboat a surfboard

Reviled

Gday mate welcome!!

205's are awesome lil cars, I have owned 4 in my lifetime and still have 3 of em

If youre patient a decent one will show up at the right place, if youre handy with a spanner then they pop up all the time but most of em require a bit of loving  :)

Pee Dubbaya

Welcome to the circus!!! Mixed in are some gems & GCs to point ya in the path of least resistance. Enjoy.
Current: Peugeot 205 GTI 16v  +  504 (Project)

Previous: Peugeot 106 Rallye (S1), 205 GTI Mi16, 206 GTI 180, 306 S16 (Ph1) & GTI-6 (Ph2) & GTI (Ph3), 309 GTI 16v, 405 Mi16 & SRDT x2, 406 HDi, 504 GL & 504 Break                     Citroën ID19, BX TZD, Xantia 2.0

CaM

Hello.

A wee warning: Don't EVER buy a french car. Your life as you know it will never be the same! get out while you can!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

seriously though, have a look around, buy a goodin if you can, and come to this forum for insight/outsight/to be poked with a stick of liquid encouragement to make your future mobile into something that'll become the best vehicle you ever owned, despite it's idiosyncrasies, failings, and let downs. 205s make the world go round.

1959 Citroën ID19 Slough
1990 Peugeot 205Mi16

Goat

pugMi

I was gonna say that  ::)

welcome, then

NZ_Pug

Thanks guys. Looks like a great website ;D

Bought the 205 last night for $2200 which seemed like a good deal. I've had my eye on them for a few months so I was pleased to pay low. Here is the link to the auction if your interested: www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=302224756.

Summary: 1.9, 117k miles, new wof, front disks replaced, cambelt changed at 110,000miles, new muffler (loud as all get out), reconditioned starter motor and alternator.

It goes really well but has a slight miss when cold. Ill get stuck in this weekend. My friend drove it from Tauranga back to Hamilton with me following and jumped out exclaming "that thing is a rocket!" Must say I expected a few rattles inside but whew! There are hundreds! ;D

This is my 26th car but first French one! Have drifted towards Euro's in the last few years and have had three BMW's, one M-Benz, an Audi and a Lancia (god the lancia didnt end well :( ) Now just to sell my E30 BMW.......

It'll be a fast daily driver and occasional track car.

Cheers,
Phil

cammmy

Sweet!

What Lancia did you have?
'91 405 Mi16x4
'74 Triumph TC2500
'98 Lotus Esprit GT3
'02 Mini Cooper S
Quote from: CaMnever feel bad about doing anything on here. you're admin, there are no rules. just ban simon before you do it.

NZ_Pug

A Thema turbo. Really wanted a Delta but couldn't find a good one. The Thema went well but wasn't too pretty, it shared the type 4 chassis with the Alfa Romeo 164, Fiat Croma and Saab 9000 (thanks wikipedia). A month after buying the cambelt broke even though it was replaced 20k ago (I verified this). Very skeptical of Italian cars as a result.....

k-trips

Italian cars/French cars only seperated by a border

[]V[] []Ξ //-\\ []\[]

NZ_Pug

Well I'll cross my fingers that they share more in common with German cars then Italian! Had better luck with them :)

NZ_Pug

Grr have been reading around and disappointed that Jap spec imports (like mine) came lower specced  :( I wondered if that was the case when I saw the rear drums last night.

k-trips

Never to mind, within a week you'll be wanting to upgrade to 309 front and rear subframes, later model brakes and an Mi16 motor anyway....

read Don Simons build fred and you'll get the idea... :) http://www.fastfrogs.co.nz/index.php/topic,110.0.html

PS - I am from the BX not 205 camp so not sure what all that guff means but I have the distinct impression it all adds up to AWESOME!!!

[]V[] []Ξ //-\\ []\[]

cammmy

'91 405 Mi16x4
'74 Triumph TC2500
'98 Lotus Esprit GT3
'02 Mini Cooper S
Quote from: CaMnever feel bad about doing anything on here. you're admin, there are no rules. just ban simon before you do it.