• Welcome to www.fastfrogs.co.nz - Fast Frogs The NZ home for Fast French Cars .

I'm I doomed to drive a jappa?

Started by steved, April 24, 2011, 05:59:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sexyBerlingo

Quote from: CaM on April 25, 2011, 05:17:58 PM
regarding cambelt: factor it into your pricing. there's plenty of jokers on here that'll do one as a cashie, or even work for garages that'll no doubt do a fair price to have the work done. it's not as much of a job as people will have you think.

yeh can get it done for a couple hundred if its just changing the belt and you get trade on belt and a guy to do cashie. Costs around a grand if you pay full price and get all the other things around same area done at same time.

got quotes for my laser once from a few places cos it was winter and raining er day and i had nowhere to work on it. Then i wrote it off like a week later

Slifer

steve if you're looking at a 306 and want a guideline on price here is something you can base your decsion on

I sold my 1996 306 xsi a couple months ago.

-1996 306 xsi
-Manual.
-83,000 kms.
-had wof and rego.
-cam belt had not been done.
-overall good cosmetic condition.
-Mechanically sound and runned well.
-import

I sold for $3500 which i thought was fair.

In other words that 1994 blue xsi is asking for a bit much compared to what i sold mine for. hope this helps somewhat
1997 106 GTi

steved

Quote from: Slifer on April 26, 2011, 05:01:47 PM
steve if you're looking at a 306 and want a guideline on price here is something you can base your decsion on

I sold my 1996 306 xsi a couple months ago.

-1996 306 xsi
-Manual.
-83,000 kms.
-had wof and rego.
-cam belt had not been done.
-overall good cosmetic condition.
-Mechanically sound and runned well.
-import

I sold for $3500 which i thought was fair.

In other words that 1994 blue xsi is asking for a bit much compared to what i sold mine for. hope this helps somewhat

Thanks Slifer, shame I didn't start looking when you were selling.

Went to see the 1994 Blue XSI this afternoon, shit pictures on net make cars look much better than in the flesh. White crap under oil cap which according to The Dog & Lemon Guide is suspect head gasket and overall average condition, very disapointing.

But not as disapointing as travelling to Hamilton this morning to view http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=342328089. Listed in Dec and daughter has been using it since, I think the last time it was cleaned was for photo's in ad! FILTHY inside and out! And so many faults also 20k more on the clock than ad states. PISSED OFF!! Shame car wasn't as tidy as the daughter.

Would suggest if anyone was thinking about looking at either not to bother.

The hunt continues  :(

CaM

do't read dog and lemon guide. the guy that writes that is a complete idiot.

if it's milky but not massivly under the cap and the person only uses the car on relatively short runs then there's nothing untoward on peugeots. if you show them and tell them it's potentially a bhg it'll get you a discount though hah.
1959 Citroën ID19 Slough
1990 Peugeot 205Mi16

Pee Dubbaya

Quote from: awatt on April 26, 2011, 07:59:51 PM
One time I met a guy who gave his diesel 405 wagon to his daughter to borrow. When he got it back from her, the left-hand side was stoved in, the ignition was broken, the car had been run out of fuel several times, and the engine wouldn't start.  :D
Haha yeah "oops sorry dad!". Was a thread about that eh- probably deleted by now.
Current: Peugeot 205 GTI 16v  +  504 (Project)

Previous: Peugeot 106 Rallye (S1), 205 GTI Mi16, 206 GTI 180, 306 S16 (Ph1) & GTI-6 (Ph2) & GTI (Ph3), 309 GTI 16v, 405 Mi16 & SRDT x2, 406 HDi, 504 GL & 504 Break                     Citroën ID19, BX TZD, Xantia 2.0

Pee Dubbaya

Oh and Steved we're all pretty open on the forum about buying/selling etc. so I'll just post here.

My 306 was previously on the market but pulled it after lack of serious interest. Which is ok because I'm not in a huge hurry to sell it- it's too much fun to have around!
It is a 1998 GTI-6 (167hp + 6speed) that I've had for about a year. A really fun and pretty damn quick car. It's black, lowered, average cosmetically but pretty good mechanically. Has done 215k now, cambelt done when I first got it. Was listed for $6500 but realistically wanting $5500.
Pics are in this thread in the forum
http://www.fastfrogs.co.nz/index.php/topic,5055.0.html

Honestly though, this may be a better option
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Cars/Peugeot/306/auction-364843880.htm
Standard height = more comfort for the missus, pretty low kays and it's a good price. Someone from Welly can probably check it out for you if you want, but I'd hazard that with those kays it's been looked after and serviced regularly. If that's the case then should be a good buy. Factor in $50-100 airfare and some gas $ to drive to Aucks, and you'll be away laughing...

Edit: Jap spec S16 = GTI-6 with slightly lower level of trim.
NZ spec S16 is a much poorer motor imo, you really notice the difference and I reckon you're better off going for the 6speed tbh.

Previous: Peugeot 106 Rallye (S1), 205 GTI Mi16, 206 GTI 180, 306 S16 (Ph1) & GTI-6 (Ph2) & GTI (Ph3), 309 GTI 16v, 405 Mi16 & SRDT x2, 406 HDi, 504 GL & 504 Break                     Citroën ID19, BX TZD, Xantia 2.0

steved

Showed seller the print out about white stuff and he didn't seem too clued up like me and he's moving overseas so was gona see if he sell's and if not he might take something I think would be more realistic for condition. But good to know that white stuff not critical cause that the main reason I wasn't that keen on it.

Only got on D&L guide via carjam and review on 306 was pretty bad but didn't put me off them, great too get another opinion. Glad I stumbled across this site thanks everone for your input at this rate I'll be an expert before I buy one!  :)

you wont get parts for it mate

CaM

yeah if you can get a good idea of wha they do when they've got a blown headgasket then it'll make it easier to discern what's a goodin and what's not. pugs have such weird cooling systems that it's sometimes hard to tell.
1959 Citroën ID19 Slough
1990 Peugeot 205Mi16

steved

Nice car Pee D. but me thinks it deserve's someone with far more mech skills and/or finacial resources to maintain and complete cosmetics. Oh and I already have 10 & 12 year old boys and with them in the back  would prob go through too much rubber it's that low  :D

Already picked one in Wlgt as one of the better ones on TM certainly keep an eye on it.

CaM

immensely. it doesn't actually means there's anything wrong, though, y'know.
best you take a geezer with you that knows his stuff :)
1959 Citroën ID19 Slough
1990 Peugeot 205Mi16

Pee Dubbaya

Quote from: steved on April 26, 2011, 08:46:16 PM
Nice car Pee D. but me thinks it deserve's someone with far more mech skills and/or finacial resources to maintain and complete cosmetics. Oh and I already have 10 & 12 year old boys and with them in the back  would prob go through too much rubber it's that low  :D

Already picked one in Wlgt as one of the better ones on TM certainly keep an eye on it.
Ha I don't really have either well sorted! Plan is to strip it down and slowly rebuild, fixing the little imperfections that piss me off. Should be interesting. If nothing else I hope to at least get my hands dirtier than I have previously!

Yeah just make an offer of say $3000, should be able to get it at a steal for 3500-4000...