• Welcome to www.fastfrogs.co.nz - Fast Frogs The NZ home for Fast French Cars .

I'm I doomed to drive a jappa?

Started by steved, April 24, 2011, 05:59:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

steved

Need cheap daily car for me as wife up the duff & loses company car. 3-4k to spend & have test driven some 306's (94xr,95xr & 99xt), never driven pug before but now I want one! Car's I've driven so far little rough & unsure about when cam done etc. Am I being realistic trying to find something reliable for this price? Would love to hear from anyone who know's of something available with man tran's,even if slightly higher price than budget mentioned (stil working on the missus). Thanks!

BigPete

Welcome to the forum.

I agree 306es have a great balanced, solid feel to them even in the non-sport-spec spongey suspension versions. XRs should be cheap as chips especially 94/95 but very low-spec. I'd definitely recommend getting at least an XT or 'Style', ideally XSi if you're presumably looking for a 5-door. What part of the country are you in?

Automatics are ticking timebombs.

steved

steved

Yeah thanks. Little worried at 176k cam belt may be due again sooner rather than later. Have Txt them to view so guess will find out hopefully.

gtistee

mate is selling a slightly tatty 3dr style..
1800 manual in burgandy..
bout 4k i think, can ask him for you if ya like
its in christchurch btw.
Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

steved

Thanks gtistee but think I'd like to buy local, cheers.

you wont get parts for it mate

don simons got the renault fam wags?

Thor

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Cars/Peugeot/306/auction-371525798.htm

here u go. just listed. you should have a look at this asap cos:

v cheap, in auckland, ph2, rolling on steels, 1.8, cambelt done. + woodgrain trim jap spec bonus ;D.

BigPete

Wow. Let me know if you don't want that.

Edit: I'm going to have a gander at 1 pm. He said someone else is having a look at 12 so I'll see what happens.

Thor

steved

Thanks Thor had a test drive yesterday. Lot of minor bits wrong, but certainly don't expect perfection for that price, infact prev ad was asking 2800 ono notice its now 2200 ono. Older eastern european guy with poor english and no evidence of cam being done just didn't get a good feel about it. Maybe I missed a bargain as it seemed to drive ok.

P.S. Cant wait to see your new movie, but I bet Brad wont be as magnificant as the real you :)

BigPete

What were some of the things wrong with it?

steved

Ripple in drivers door, ran a magnet over it and didn't stick so well in couple of spots. New section in exhaust with some dried gunk either end of joint's, didn't look to professional. Rear left window motor poked. Door lining material coming away on most doors and some other cosmetic bits. Battery cover loose, but just looks like new battery to big. Oil looked a little dark. And dead bird between bonnet and lining was a bit weird, but thats gone now. As I said it seemed to drive ok no visible smoke but  no evidence of when cam done. Was on for 2800ono and thought about offering 2k but language barrier very difficult to get thru. But i'm no mechanical expert and maybe too cautious might have been ok for price.

BigPete

Cheers. I think I'll cancel my appointment. Do you reckon he's backyard mechanic wheeler dealer-ing it?