• Welcome to www.fastfrogs.co.nz - Fast Frogs The NZ home for Fast French Cars .

Had a red 309 GTI, now got a red 306 S16

Started by Ric Chalmers, August 06, 2012, 09:12:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ric Chalmers

Hi Gold'n The top engine mount is on the right side of the car and the noise is coming from the left front, I think it could also be top mount bearings as it clunks more when the left side of the car is unloaded, have jacked it up and tried to find it but everything (except the a/r bar links) feels nice and tight.  I will try and get it on a hoist this weekend and have the wheels hanging to investigate further.  Cheers.

Bennny

Welcome to ff.   :)

I would personally advise checking under that mount
for peace of mind. I've done mine as it was starting to fracture
but I've seen pics of others that were a hell of a mess. Not hard to remove
to have a look and catching it early would probly work in your favour.
also while the car is on the ground grab that front left and rock it toward and away from the
car rigorously. If it starts knocking its the drop link.

Ric Chalmers

Cheers Benny,

Which mount are we referring too?

Bennny

The top one gng mentioned.
id take a squiz just to be on the safe side.
By the time it shows symptoms its already pretty knackered.
as she also mentioned, plenty of reference material on here
To look over regarding that mount.  :)

Gold'n'Girl

Quote from: Ric Chalmers on August 07, 2012, 08:52:49 AM
Hi Gold'n The top engine mount is on the right side of the car and the noise is coming from the left front, I think it could also be top mount bearings as it clunks more when the left side of the car is unloaded, have jacked it up and tried to find it but everything (except the a/r bar links) feels nice and tight.  I will try and get it on a hoist this weekend and have the wheels hanging to investigate further.  Cheers.

Ah ok - you said "near side" which, having once been a horsey person, I took to mean "the side you mount from" which would translate to the driver's side with a car. LOL

Check the engine mount cradle anyway as Benny advises - it is almost a given in a S16 or GTi6 at around 150 000km. Even my 306 xsi did it..... I must be too lead-footed on the gas  :o
'99 306 GTi-6 & '94 306 cabri-OH-let

Gold'n'Girl

(I've repaired this problem in both my old XSI and my current GTi6. In fact the 6 was so bad that my mechanic wouldn't touch it with a barge pole. My husband had to buy a mig welder to do the job. Turned out to be a bloody expensive repair!  ;D)
'99 306 GTi-6 & '94 306 cabri-OH-let

Ric Chalmers

Sorry Gold'n'Girl, nearside is near the kerb side and offside is the side closest to the center line, this saves confusion about drivers side on left hookers!!

Put some new anti roll bar links on and turns out the nearside one was rooted, however I can now hear a noticeable clunking every time I come on and off throttle so I suspect the lower mount is gone, as you said.  Nolathane don't do a urethane one but Powerflex list one so might have to do some internet shopping, or might just make it a solid mount with the old welder!!

Mungous

"Near side" does come from the horsey world though - mounted soldiers always mounted from the left so that their swords didn't hit the horse's flanks as they got on (obviously being a left-handed soldier was frowned on). As chivalry thrived on rules, they did everything from the left side - so it became "near".
"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals"

Gone:
'63 ID19, '67 Land Rover Safari, '71 GS1015, '74 GS1220, '76 GSX2, '80 GSA, '86 BX19GT, '89 BX19GTi, '91 BX16 Meteor, 2003 M5, '08 308

In a garage:
'89 BX 19 GTi 16 valve
'90 BX16v
'98 Saxo VTS

2052NV

id recommend a standard stiffness mount if your going to put a new one in. as the hard ones transfer ALOT of vibration and i found for a road car they were neigh on unbearable, i had a full set of group n mounts on my 205 and couldn't stand it so changed them all back to new standard ones

Bennny

Before you order any bits I would check that top mount,
I'm fairly certain that will be what your hearing now you have done the drop links.
Get someone in the car with hand brake on and blocks under wheels to operate clutch repeatedly in first while you look under bonnet
from drivers side and you will probly see and hear quite clearly if that top mount shot.

2052NV