• Welcome to www.fastfrogs.co.nz - Fast Frogs The NZ home for Fast French Cars .

1997 Peugeot 406

Started by jokerhoang, March 29, 2013, 04:27:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jokerhoang

Hi everyone, I live in Wellington and I love the design of Peugeot. They are very stunning, smooth driving and cheap to own.

Just recently bought a Peugeot 406 1997 v6 3.0 and it started to have a few problem that is very annoying. It seem the water pump is broken to me. Please give me some advices about how to fix it and how much does it cost?

Here is the demon I got:

[attachment deleted by admin]
Demon 1997 peugeot 406 v6 3.0

blv205gti

Maybe look up a local wreckers for the part and then take it to a mechanic? With the coolant system it pays to take it to a pro in my experience

Mungous

Second hand water pumps are seldom a good idea. Too much labour involved to fit them if they're only going to last 10,000km, and PSA water pumps are not exactly known for their reliability...

That's the reason you can get kits that include cambelt, water pump and tensioners.
"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals"

Gone:
'63 ID19, '67 Land Rover Safari, '71 GS1015, '74 GS1220, '76 GSX2, '80 GSA, '86 BX19GT, '89 BX19GTi, '91 BX16 Meteor, 2003 M5, '08 308

In a garage:
'89 BX 19 GTi 16 valve
'90 BX16v
'98 Saxo VTS

CaM

1959 Citroën ID19 Slough
1990 Peugeot 205Mi16

Bennny

Welcome to ff mate.
I agree that you're probly best to get the
kit and do it all in one hit.

RS

Welcome. Cheap to own? Cant say I have found that!

jokerhoang

Firstly, I thank you all for warm welcome and advises.

After a few months, I regret to say it is cheap to own. Last time it turned to be broken the coolant and it was not so expensive to fix that. However, the mechanic suggested the car might have blow the head gasket. Now I believed the guy who sold it have tricked me well enough.

Right now the car happen to be overheat at 92-93 degree with a loud sound from the fan. The coolant gone quite fast in few days and there are whining sound from the engine whenever I revving the engine. Also I do notice the front carpet is wet which is making the windows foggy.

Any suggestion what should I do now? I have read about the Steal Seal which resolve the problem of head gasket but not for long term unfortunately. Thank you !

2052NV

sounds like your heater matrix is leaking coolant into the footwell bud. Try blocking off the two heater hoses that go through the fire wall and see if the leak stops.

Pee Dubbaya

What other signs of a blown head gasket do you have? Firstly check for milky oil/sludge in the radiator/under the cap and coolant &/or oil from around the headgasket.

Next you need to block off that heater matrix like 2052NV has said to stop losing all your coolant through there. This alone may be the cause of the oveheating. Two medium-sized hoses go into the firewall approx in the centre of the vehicle, one hose will come back to the thermostat. Carefully take them both off and clamp or block the hoses. Fill up the radiator header tank to max mark with water and run the engine- if you've blocked the hoses off the coolant will stop leaking. Let the engine cool completely and check the water level has returned to the mark (or not).
Also check for bubbles in the radiator coolant when engine is running and excessive white smoke out the exhaust once warmed up.

92ish isn't overheating that badly- so it could also be just a slight air lock caused by not bleeding the coolant properly when it was replaced. If you get to this point we can talk you through what to do.
Current: Peugeot 205 GTI 16v  +  504 (Project)

Previous: Peugeot 106 Rallye (S1), 205 GTI Mi16, 206 GTI 180, 306 S16 (Ph1) & GTI-6 (Ph2) & GTI (Ph3), 309 GTI 16v, 405 Mi16 & SRDT x2, 406 HDi, 504 GL & 504 Break                     Citroën ID19, BX TZD, Xantia 2.0

jokerhoang

Thank you all, hat sound positive to me. One more question, I realize the air filter in taker  of air filter have broken. Is that relate to this  problem?

cammmy

Are you able to post a picture of that?
'91 405 Mi16x4
'74 Triumph TC2500
'98 Lotus Esprit GT3
'02 Mini Cooper S
Quote from: CaMnever feel bad about doing anything on here. you're admin, there are no rules. just ban simon before you do it.

jokerhoang

Hi, this is the picture of broken air filter in taker

[attachment deleted by admin]

2052NV

Can you take a bigger picture of that area, Just need to find out if the split is before the air flow meter or after. Either way that should be fixed as in the nest case senario your letting dirty un filtered air into the engine which could cause damage over time.

BigPete

Mine did the same. I just taped it up. The induction noise was way better with the split though ;D

Also, 406s are probably mostly MAP sensor, not AFM.